Wednesday, September 14, 2011

International Chocolate Bar Challenge - Toblerone

For years I've had the impression that chocolate bars in Europe are better than Canada, and Canadian chocolate bars are better than American.  I've always said this, but I've never actually tested it.  I've tasted the same bars from these three different regions, but never at the same time.  Well that's all changed, now I've collected chocolate bars from the US, Canada, and Europe, and I'm going to do a blind taste test each week.  When I taste these bars I won't have any idea which bar is from which place.
Today's taste test is with the Toblerone bar, Bar number one is the US bar, bar number two is the Canadian bar, and bar number three is the European bar.
 The first bar (US) was triangular as it should be, I figured that it was the Canadian bar, but it was pretty much just a guess.  The chocolate melted very smoothly as I expected, the one thing I did notice was a really big piece of nougat.  The second bar (Canada) which I guess was the US bar, was a bit of a disappointment. It didn't melt very well and stranger still I didn't taste as many nuts in it.  The final bar, (Europe) I guessed correctly.  This bar had a really nice balance of all of the ingredients and the chocolate was really smooth.
Of all of the bars I'm taste testing in this International Chocolate Bar Challenge, the Toblerone was the one that I expected to have the fewest differences.  In fact I was fairly certain that there would be not differences at all, since I've read that they make all of their bars in the same factory in Switzerland.  Strangely though, I did find some very subtle differences between these bars.  The differences were very minor, but they most certainly existed.

CC

No comments: