Wednesday, September 28, 2011

International Chocolate Bar Challenge - Snickers

For years I've had the impression that chocolate bars in Europe are better than Canada, and Canadian chocolate bars are better than American.  I've always said this, but I've never actually tested it.  I've tasted the same bars from these three different regions, but never at the same time.  Well that's all changed, now I've collected chocolate bars from the US, Canada, and Europe, and I'm going to do a blind taste test.  When I taste these bars I won't have any idea which bar is from which place.
For our last instalment of the International Chocolate Bar Challenge, I'm taste testing the Snickers bar.  Bar one is the American bar, bar two is the Canadian bar, and bar three is the European bar.
I first wanted to mention that for the first time since starting this experiment, I've guessed the nationality of each bar right on the money.  I'm not saying there wasn't a little guess work, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of this.  Bar one (US) felt skinny right off the bat.  The peanuts and caramel tasted fairly normal, but the chocolate had almost no flavour at all.  Bar two (CAN) felt much wider than bar one and had a bit of a stronger flavour but again the chocolate wasn't that pronounced.  The third bar (EU) was so vastly different it's amazing.  The chocolate was tastier, but even more, the peanuts had such a deep roasted flavour it was amazing to think that it was the same variety bar as the other two.
The biggest difference in these bars had to have come from the taste of the European bar, it was so much better than the other two it's almost indescribable.  It's also worth noting that each of these bars looked different as well.  The chocolate patterns went from being very messy (US) to very neat and decorative (EU).  The American bar was also longer and narrower than the other two bars.

CC

No comments: