Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Soccer Chocolate Challenge

Football (or as they call it in North America soccer) is a pretty big deal here in Greece.  They love the sport and the fanaticism for the local teams is overwhelming.  In Athens (where I live) there are three main teams, and the whole city is divided as to which team to root for.  Since arriving I've been pressured by many friends to choose a team, and I better choose correctly.  I've decided that as the Candy Critic, I should let candy make that choice for me.  Each team has an official candy bar, each decorated in team colours.  So I'm going to choose my team based on which bar I prefer.  I'm well aware that these bars might in fact be exactly the same, if that's the case, I'm going to skip the idea of following any team and just cheer on the national basketball team instead.
Olympiacos - Olympiacos is the most successful club in Greek football history, having won 38 League titles, 24 Greek Cups and 4 Greek Super Cups, more titles than any other Greek team and it is one of four teams that have never been relegated from the first division (Wikipedia). Chocolate wise I can't say that Olympiacos couldn't win any candy championships at all. I would like to call this bar a "chocolate" bar, but that's being too kind, it's more like a brown piece of wax that has a slight chocolate flavour.  Unless the other two bars actually make me ill, I can't see this bar winning.
Panathinaikos - Founded in 1908, they play in the Super League Greece and are one of the oldest and most successful clubs in Greek football history (Wikipedia).  This competition is not looking good at all.  I won't say that the Panathinaikos bar is worse than the Olympiacos bar, but it's certainly no better.  Cheap chocolate with no flavour, this is not a good day to be a soccer fan in Greece.
AEK Athlitiki Enosis Konstantinoupoleos (the Athletic Union of Constantinople) - Established in Athens in 1924 by Greek refugees from Constantinople in the wake of the Greco-Turkish War, AEK has grown to become a fairly successful club in Greek football, winning 30 national titles (Wikipedia).  You can say that you learned a few things about Greek soccer today.  You learned a few statistics from three of the most popular soccer teams in Athens, and you also learned that each team allows their names to be associated with very low quality products.  This bar, was exactly like the first two, and all of them were absolutely horrible.  It's a shame that these teams don't take their licencing a little more seriously.  If one of them had worried about quality they would have gained a fan today.  Instead the Greek national basketball team has one a new fan.  That is unless they also produce low quality chocolate treats, in that case I may have to turn to cricket instead.

CC

No comments: