Friday, January 13, 2012

Viennese Desserts

Last week I wrote about some of the great baked treats available at the Christmas markets in Vienna this year.  It's not surprising that there were so many baked treats at the market because, Vienna is a city covered in bakeries.  In fact I can remember there being about 3 convenience stores in the neighborhood where my hotel was located, but I can remember at least 15 bakeries.  They really go nuts for baked goods and desserts in Vienna.  Needless to say, on this trip I made sure to sample as many of the fine desserts that I could, some where traditional, other unconventional and strange (in a good way).  I've decided to highlight my favorite traditional and my favorite unconventional desserts that I sampled on this trip.
When it comes to "traditional" desserts in Vienna, nothing is more so than the sachertorte, or sugar cake.  Of all of the desserts and sweet treats that people told me I "have to try" in Vienna, this one ranked the highest. While I can't say it's the best dessert I've ever tried, I can tell you that it's one of the most original and detailed cake I've ever tasted.  You might think it's a simple slice of chocolate cake, it is in fact so deep with mixed flavours that it's pretty astonishing.  There are fruit flavours (apricot I believe) found in thin layer of jam.  There are sweet, almost spiced, cake layers, and a subtle chocolate icing.  This is a cake that could be messed up so easily, but with proper proportions, it's really a taste experience that shouldn't be missed.
As far as unconventional desserts go this plate resembling a plate of spaghetti wins hands down. It wins not only because it's very strange looking, but also because it was really tasty.  What you have here is a plate of ice cream spaghetti covered in hazel nuts and Nutella.  Vienna is actually full of many gelato and ice cream shops and they focus on sundaes and themed ice cream desserts.  Ice cream desserts here are as big and ornate as the crazy palaces and concert halls found throughout the city.
This treat wasn't simple by any means at all.  Not only did it have the ice cream noodles, Nutella sauce, and a hazel nut top, but it also had a cream filled center.  I can easily say that this is one of the most creative sundaes I've ever eaten in my entire life.  Best of all it was also one of the tastiest sundaes I've ever eaten in my entire life as well.  The ice cream was fresh, the nuts came in a variety of sizes so each bite was unique, and the Nutella... well it's Nutella, and that's awesome.
Another great thing about desserts in Vienna is the love of fun teas to go with your dessert.  I particularly fell in love with all of the varieties of fruit teas available.  Most of them had a very strong berry theme, and these tart flavours went really well with the many sweet desserts available.

CC

No comments: