Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spooooooooooooonnnn!!! Sweets - Kumquat

Every day this week I'm going to sample a different spoon sweet and let you know what I think.  For those unfamiliar with spoon sweets, they're pretty much fruit preserved in a syrup.  It's kind of like jam, only it's much juicier and the fruit is most often whole, or only sliced in half.
The kumquat, all I can say about this fruit is that the name is really fun to say.  If you've ever sampled a fresh kumquat before, you probably wondered why in the world people sell them in the first place.  I've heard that kumquats are OK for cooking, and occasionally as a garnish, but frankly I've never seen a good use for them yet (at least as anything an orange couldn't do).  So I guess you're wondering what I thought of them as a spoon sweet.  I think they're a little better as a spoon sweet, but they're not something I'd rush out to buy.  The bitterness of the kumquat is greatly reduced, but not eliminated in this spoon sweet form.  The texture is kind of like a slimy semi-hard candy.  When you bite into it, an explosion of sticky juice fills your mouth and you have a kind of orange like flavour on your palette.  I really think that the only reason people like to use (or eat) this fruit at all, is so they can claim they've tasted a kumquat.

CC

No comments: