Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Crescent Roll Challenge Part 3 - Peanut Butter M&Ms

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved Pillsbury crescent rolls.  They hold so many memories for me, in particular during holiday meals.  With my new found interest in baking, my love of candy, and my fondness for Pillsbury crescent rolls, I've decided to do a little experiment.  Each day this week I'm going to bake a Pillsbury crescent roll filled with a different sweet filling.  Some are very conventional, others... well not so much.
You know why I decided to use Peanut Butter M&Ms for this Pillsubury crescent roll?  Mostly because I happened to have a bag of them.  I also figured that both peanut butter and M&Ms individually would be interesting to try inside a crescent roll but together it might be twice as interesting. As you can see from the picture, they pretty much instantly started to bleed the minute they touched the pastry dough.
Strangely enough, after being in the over for 10 minutes they didn't completely melt.  It appears that the colour layer is truly the weakest layer.  While the solidity of the M&Ms was nice, it might have been a little tastier if the peanut butter and chocolate melted a little more.  Melted it would have distributed the peanut butter and chocolate flavour a little more.  I'd be interested in trying this with the other M&Ms in the future.

CC

No comments: