Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lebanese Baklava

While living in Greece I've learned a little something about baklava.  For those that are unfamiliar with this treat, it's basically philo dough, honey, and some nuts, presented with different spices and formed in many different ways.  It's one of the tastiest and sweetest desserts I know, and well worth sampling if you can.
The thing I learned about this treat living here in Greece, is that it's not just a Greek sweet.  It's a little strange to learn that a sweet you thought was the pride and joy of one country, is in fact available and popular in many other places.  It's particularly strange to learn this in Greece, as opposed to the many other countries that also celebrate this food.  The great thing I learned as well, is how different and tasty many of these different baklava's can be.  This past week I was given a box of Lebanese baklava and it was spectacular.
While I can't deny that Greek baklava is good, this Lebanese stuff was great as well.  It's not as nutty as most of the Greek baklava's I've tried, but the philo dough was super buttery.  I really think that this dessert might be a better representation of the Mediterranean, than of just Greece, but I don't want to step on any toes by saying this.

CC

No comments: