Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Old Candy Critic Articles - Dancing the Charleston

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week I'm posting an article I wrote when I learned about freezing a Charleston Chew.
People are very passionate about their favourite treats. I get e-mail after e-mail about treats I've reviewed, particularly if people disagree with my opinion. I've even been vilified on other web sites,  because someone disagreed with my opinion on a particular candy. For the most part I don't really react. If you e-mail me, I'll respond to your comment but I'll never change a review. Then one day I got an interesting e-mail that changed my mind on this subject, it was all about my "Charleston Chew" review. I was told that I had not tried the bar in it's optimal way, and I must tell you the letter was very passionate. My review will never change, it say's nothing on the package about saying it has to be eaten frozen, but it does recommend trying it. With a passionate e-mail and a suggestion from the creators, I figured I should taste a frozen and smashed Charleston Chew. Then I thought why not try it both ways and do a comparative review of each, this way we can truly know if their that much better frozen or if your wasting time and energy freezing these treats. So here is a Charleston Chew frozen VS and Charleston Chew room temperature...

First - Room Temperature:
This bar is full of chocolaty fun. The taffy is different since it's a little fluffier than most taffies, its not bad, just different. The chocolate on the outside is a nice touch, even though its milk chocolate on chocolate taffy its still not too overpowering. Honestly every time I bite into one of these things I expect my teeth to be all sticky, and think I'm going to be fighting with it just to get a bite out of it, but with the whipped-type taffy it's never like that. As I said in my review, this bar's fine it's just not spectacular.

Second - Frozen:
Wow, I have to say I'm impressed. The Charleston Chew is a different kind of treat when you eat it frozen. Well, it is for a bit, eventually after chewing it for a while it does turn back into the warm version of itself, but it starts out really nice. It reminds me a little of Astronauts Ice Cream, those not lucky enough to try this snack should go and join your local astronaut camp or whatever you call it when you become a space man/woman. The one thing I truly liked about this snack is the fact that the flavour was a little more subtle when it was frozen. It  builds up to a bigger flavour as you chew, but at first it's a nice subtle chocolate flavour. If they could some how freeze dry this bars, I really think it would be an improvement!

CC

No comments: