Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chocolate Factory Find In Athens

While walking up a street in Athens today, I noticed a really big sign on the front of a building. I noticed it because it happens to be a sign for a very well known chocolate making company here in Athens.  I then noticed that the whole building was in fact covered with this sign and realized that this was a factory where this chocolate is made.  I could tell it was a factory because of the large vats on the left side of the building.
I decided to walk around the factory to see what else I could see.  For the most part the factory was pretty bleak and un-impressive, but then I came to a small pedestrian street along the side of the building.  The first thing I notice was another huge sign, then I noticed that this street must be where the ventilation system ends, because the smell was fantastic.
I decided to walk down this street, so I could enjoy the smell, and I came across two really great machines.  It appears that they've decided to decorate this exquisite smelling street with a few of their old chocolate making machines.  The first one I came across was an old cocoa bean crusher.
The second one appeared to be an old cocoa bean roaster.  The street was fairly sparse, except for these machines, and that's a shame.  I think you could turn this little street into a chocolate museum.  Maybe add a few more machines, and a few interpretative panels explaining the history of chocolate in Greece as well as how chocolate bars are made.  The wonderful smell of the factory would really enhance the whole experience.

CC

No comments: