Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Old Candy Critic Articles - Food Network and the Candy Critic

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week I recount my story of filming a segment for the Food Network a few years back.
Here's Joe Pedalino the camera man, who claims he didn't want to eat any candy, I changed that.
What's the coolest thing that has ever happened to the Candy Critic? Well the Chicago Candy Expo was pretty cool, and finding a cool treat in a strange land is always a kick. Well here I am to add yet another notch in the belt of cool candy things. Recently a production company contacted me asking if I wanted to be on a Food Network show called, "What America Eats". They're taping a show all about candy and they thought I would make a good subject for a segment. I was a little skeptical at first, then they told me they would take me to a candy store and let me go nuts, I was sold. So off to New York I went, to tape a fun little segment for the Food Network, and to run amuck through a candy store causing more candy mayhem than ever before.
This is what the outside of a great hidden treasure looks like.
My day started out pretty simple, we sat down in a downtown office and talked about candy. They asked me what I like to eat and what I don't. It seemed pretty simple at this point but in the back of my mind all I wanted was to check out this candy store and go nuts.
This is a good example of how much candy I had to choose from. Here is one wall, there were four more just like this.
Soon we were off, our destination a little shop called 'The Sweet Life' in lower Manhattan. I had no idea the adventure that was about to take place, but I did know that I wouldn't stop eating until I was sick.
Candy stores are great, but it's even better if they offer some homemade treats as well.
This place was so full of candy delights and I was going to make it my very own candy devouring paradise.
Here's Joe shooting some crazy candy store type shots, soon I'd get between  the candy and camera and create some serious chaos.
All you need is a camera, a TV show, and a dental plan then you too could go completely nuts in a candy store with total disregard for your own health and well being.
More candy than the average man should have to endure. Well I'm not the average man, so I went for it.
Well you'll have to see how it went when you check it out on the Food Network in March (ED: As you can imagine it’s already aired and it was awesome), but you can check out more shots of my candy experience below.
One of my favourite things in the world is British candy, and one of my favourite treats is a "Kit Kat". It took only seconds for me to grab this British treat, and I would recommend the same for anyone who comes across one.
It looks like cheese with nuts but in fact its an interesting treat called Halva.
Chocolate pansies and chocolate fish. No it's not you, this has got to be one of the weirder combinations in history.
Among many of the other treats you can find around the world, Australian Licorice is a must have.
How cute baby "M&M's". Does it make them any harder to eat? Not a chance.
Gummies are good!
A little behind the scenes from the shoot. I thought it would be fun to put one of these on at the beginning of the shoot. They don't come in adult sizes, and pretty soon I lost all feeling in my finger.
What can I say, I eat candy. This is candy, I ate some.
That's a lot of candy.
CC

No comments: