Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Baking Today - Last Minute Churros

I had grand plans to cut back on the baking until I finished with my holiday adventure extravaganza (more on that later), and then a last minute lunch event came up.  More importantly a theme for a lunch event came up (Mexican) and I felt that this was a great time to flex my new adventurous baking spirit and try to make a Mexican dessert.  The only dessert I could think of that seemed attainable was churros.
I've never made churros before, and frankly I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I did a little research on the internet and the first thing I discovered is that they appear to be very quick to make.  Most recipes said that it was a 20 to 30 minute recipe.  That is very true, but you will be working hard for that 20 to 30 minutes.  First of all the dough for the churros is really thick (kind of like play-dough) , and really difficult to pipe through a bag.
Secondly if you make your churros too small they explode... not violently or anything, but they fall apart in the deep fry oil.  My 20 to 30 minutes turned into an hour or so, mostly due to the learning curve and the few omissions from the recipes I looked up.
But in the end I think I had a churro success story.  I had to roll them by hand instead of using a piping bag, but that was actually kind of fun.  Sure they looked kind of funny, but I think if I took my time rolling them, instead of doing it in a rush because my guests were waiting for dessert, they would have looked a lot better.  Either way I was happy, my guests seemed happy, and I think they tasted great.

CC

No comments: