Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Quince Question

While researching my Greek cookbook, I came across a few recipes that call for "quince".  I've seen quinces available at shops and markets, but I really didn't know why or how people used them.  I figured, by looking at it, that it was just an ugly pear, but I was wrong.
The first sign that it's not a pear come from cutting it in half, it's like trying to cut through stone.  I had to take out my biggest knife just to get through one little quince.  I thought I'd give it a sample bite to see what kind of flavour and texture it had.  It pretty much tasted like a really bitter pear, and the texture was like biting into a log.  I've come to realize that the only way to eat this fruit, is cooked.  I just hope I can cook it well enough to improve that bitter taste.

CC

No comments: