Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Old Candy Critic Articles - Gummy Trouble

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week I look at a box of gummies that really ticked me off.

Now is the time for the Candy Critic to rant. For the most part I'm pretty positive about all candy, and I'd never tell anybody not to try or purchase anything even if I didn't like it. But there is one unforgivable candy no-no, and that is ripping people off. Recently, I went to my local candy store to check out any new treats that may have come out. When I got there, I started to go on a candy buying rampage. One of the treats that came out of this was the "Austin Powers Sour Gummies". I'd seen them before but since they're a little bit expensive I always waited, but this was going to be the day.

That's night when I got home, I decided to take some candy pictures for the site, and these gummies were on my list. I was soon-to-be very disappointed. When I opened the gummies, I discovered that the box was full of gummy bears, plain gummy bears. I'm not saying I don't like them, but considering how much I paid and the creative possibilities of "Austin Powers Sour Gummies" I was very disappointed. So my beef is simple:

First of all I paid a lot for these gummies, I'm not saying that I've never paid a lot for candy in my life. With the cost of shipping some of the candy I've sampled is worth its weight in gold. If I get something cool, I'll pay for it, and have no problems with that. The problem I have is paying for something that doesn't seem worth it. With a little help from my local candy store, I calculated that I paid almost 3 times as much as I would have paid for the same amount of gummy bears. I mean "Austin Powers" is great but I don't think the box is worth that much.
This leads me to my second problem; "Austin Powers" is a creative collection of films using icons from the past and present to make light of current situations. Now that you've heard my little movie speech here's how it pertains to this. Why don't they make custom gummies instead of just giving me gummy bears? I've got a section of this site dedicated to the diversity of gummies and they couldn't think of any cool shapes or ideas for these gummies. The movie is full of ideas. Right off the top of my head, I thought it would be cool if they did male and female symbols. Anything would be better than, well nothing.

I'm not telling you not to buy these gummies; I would never tell anyone not to try something out. I'm just telling you how I felt when I experienced this particular treat.

CC

No comments: