Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Old Candy Critic Articles - Does size matter?

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week we look at candy size and how it affects the way a treat might taste.

The other day I saw something really interesting in my local 24-hour convenience store that started to make me think. What I saw, and eventually purchased, was Mars Bar Bits. What did it make me think of is, does size really matter when it comes to chocolate bars? I've come to an interesting conclusion about this, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Let me break it down for you, some bars work small and some work large. Let's look at my new found discovery Mars Bar Bits. I'm not a huge fan of regular Mars Bars, there not bad but I rare ever crave one. I tried these little bits and you now what? They were a lot better, and I think it was the size that really made the difference. It could have been the extra chocolate (with smaller bits you have more surface area) or it could be that I find the Mars Bar to be a little overwhelming in the nougat department.

This brings us to when bars go big. Why do I like some bars big you might ask? Well that is a much easier question to answer. I'm a pig. Sometimes 4 sticks of a Kit Kat aren't enough, I want 12, so I go for the big bar. The drawbacks are simple, if you eat a gigantic chocolate bar you will be both fat and sick. I guess you could share it with friends, but what's the fun in that. The real mystery is why these giant sizes are most commonly found in theater concession stands. I know I'll be there for at least a couple of hours, but 4 pounds of chocolate covered almonds can still be too much.

So let's review, some bars in their natural state are too much or not balanced properly so a smaller variation can change everything and even make it better. Big bars are great for the average glutton, but if the dosage is too much it can be hazardous to your health. I guess the best way to judge this is simple, on Halloween, instead of giving out small treats, give out large bars, and see how many repeat trick or treaters you get. If you are planning this test please email your home address, and I'll see you on Halloween.

CC

No comments: