Monday, August 25, 2014

Canadian Candy List - Part 5 - Best Salty Treat

Over the last few years I've been living away from my home country, Canada.  I've been traveling the world exploring all kinds of snack foods, junk foods, and sweets, but my heart is still in Canada.  I'm going to be back home for an extended period, and I've decided to compile various lists on the theme of Canadian candy and snacks.  Each week, for the next several weeks, I'll be posting a different list of Canadian candies I've reviewed in various categories.  Some of these treats may be available in other parts of the world, some are exclusive to the Great White North, but in my mind all of them are Canadian.

Canada is very well known for its beer, or at least it should be.  For any country that's know for its beer there's an industry for the perfect salty snacks, and Canada has some great ones.  Some of them might seem a little strange to an outsider, but to Canadians these salty treats are a staple of our snacking diets.

 I'm sure you're probably looking at these Cheezies and wondering how they're any different than the standard cheese puffs you see all over the world.  It's simple, there's a density to these that are truly unique, and a cheesy flavour that's second to none.

Click here to read the Cheezies review.
These might not be the best chips I've ever eaten, but they're a great example of how even the big name brands understand how important the local flavour can be in Canada.  Rather than just making fun chips flavours, they make chip flavours that represent Canada.

Click here to read the Lay's "P.E.I. Loaded Baked" Potato Chips review.
 If you've never tasted dill pickle chips in your life you're truly missing out.  You're either missing out on one of the best flavour experiences you'll ever taste, or you're missing out on one of the strangest flavour experiences of your life.  Either way, you'll have an experience.

Click here to read the Old Dutch "Dill Pickle" review.
I love tacky souvenirs, and this one might be the best.  Why wouldn't you want to eat a chips out of a bag that looks like it should be filled with potatoes?  Best of all this bag is filled with locally made Prince Edward Island potatoes, some of the best in the world.

Click here to read the Prince Edward Island Potato Bag Chips review.
I'm sure that Canadians didn't invent the idea of using vegetables other than potatoes as chips, but with our awesome climate for growing root vegetables, we have some of the tastiest.  We have room to grow things, and we grow lots of great vegies to fry up and eat.

Click here to read the Root Chips review.






CC

No comments: