Monday, June 22, 2015

This Week In Candy

I think it's safe to say that summer has arrived.  While I'm far away from my North American roots right now, I'm getting news from home that people are wearing shorts and t-shirts.  This year I'm going to try and tap into my love of summer, particularly since my love of candy is really based on my many summer activities as a child.  When I was a kid my dad used to take us on long walks that would always start with a bag of candy from the local store.  I also used to ride my bike to the local park with a stop at the local store to fill up on treats with all of my friends.  Pretty much all of my summer memories involved some kind of candy I'm sure.

This past week my writing plans suddenly took a bit of a turn.  My agent contacted me to see what I was up to, we exchanged notes and she decided that I should focus on a cookbook, instead of the history of chocolate.  Don't get me wrong, I've dedicated enough time that I'm going to finish the history of chocolate book, but it looks like my focus might turn to baking once again.  That means I'm going to need help from any of you guys that are willing.  Be it technical advice, or just some inspiration, I get the feeling I'll need anything I can get.

Seeing as summer is here, this week on Snack Facts, our Instagram feed, we're looking at Kool-Aid.  Why not learn a fun fact about one of the most interesting drinks in the world.  All you have to do is follow us on Instagram right here, and every day this week you'll learn something new about this brightly coloured drink.  If you don't use Instagram, you can also follow Snack Facts on our Twitter feed and Facebook page as well.

Today's new review is from a fairly recent trip I took to Cyprus. I love this small little island country because of the amazing diversity of candy (all foods actually) that you can find there.  While the reasons for this diversity isn't the greatest (occupations and wars) there is no arguing that it's a really fascinating place to visit for any foodie.  Click here to read about an interesting Cypriot treat.

CC

No comments: