Monday, November 07, 2016

This Week In Candy


This week I came across what seems like a new candy trend (at least to me) and that's snack mixes.  The snack mixes I'm talking about are like Chexmix, mixed nuts or trail mix, but instead of being anything even remotely healthy these mixes are mostly candy.  My local bulk store (Bulk Barn, yeah you Americans will laugh but it's a Canadian institution) had a whole bunch of these crazy mixes, filled with many treats I'd never really thought of putting together.  The one pictured above has the "clever" name of "Should Be A Food Group".  The thing that worries me about these mixes is their origins.  Are they carefully created through trial and error to get the perfect balance of flavours, or are they simply what was left at the bottom of several bins at the end of the day?  Should Be A Food Group was OK, but not a breakthrough in candy mix-ology. Do you have a favourite mix, do you make it yourself?  Let me know.

This week I also thought I would announce that I'm heading back south again, this time New York city.  I have lots of things to check out while I'm there, and likely lots to re-discover considering I haven't been there in over 10 years.  There are a few bakeries and candy stores I know I want to check out, but New York always had a lot of fun surprises around every corner as well.  When I go, you'll be able to keep up with all the fun places I visit on Facebook and Twitter.

On the podcast front, we're working on getting the October edition of Junk Fud News online tomorrow.  We're also working on a few special interview/collaboration episodes of Junk Fud online later this winter.  We're also doing a special collaborative episode  of Chris, Why Would You Eat That?!! which we hope to get out in either December of January.

This week's new review was a really big surprise for me.  It surprised me that a candy with an apple flavour could work so well.  There were other flavours in this bag of Skittles "Orchard", but not all of them seemed to fit the theme perfectly, or as well as the apple.  Click here to find out why.

CC

No comments: