Monday, June 18, 2018

Hidden Treasures Of Europe

Many European candy companies sell their treats all over the world. Some have become so popular overseas that people don't even know that they're European (that's a future article coming next week). While it seems like you can get just about everything in North America, there are a few European hidden treasures that are difficult or even impossible to find in the US or Canada. You might be able to hunt them down online, or at a few import candy stores, but for the most part these candies are completely unknown to those of us in North America.

Well I'm here to help you out. Below is a list of European candy that's not very common in American or Canadian stores, but well worth your time to search out. You might have to fly to Europe to find them, but frankly I think it's totally worth it.

Manner "Original Neapolitaner"
Made By: Manner
Originated In: Austria

I've heard a story that Arnold Schwarzenegger insists on having Manner bars on set when he shoots a movie. If you're in Austria you can pretty much find this bar everywhere. It's so dominant that you're thrown off a little after leaving Austria to find that you don't see them everywhere else in the world. The good news is that this is a seriously good wafer bar, in fact it's one of my favourites and well worth a flight to bite into one.

Click here to read our review.

Fazer "Blue"
Made By: Fazer
Originated In: Finland

I lived in Europe for four years, and for three of those years I was obsessed with every single Fazer product. The reason I was only obsessed about them for three of the four years is that I had not heard of them during my first year, so I could only enjoy these amazing chocolate treats for three quarters of my time there. Trust me, it's still a sore spot. I would easily put Fazer against any other chocolate company in the world, I would even say that it would likely beat out many of them.

Click here to read our review.

Lacta
Made By: Kraft (but it wasn't always Kraft)
Originated In: Greece I Think

As I mentioned before, I lived in Europe for four years, the country I lived in was Greece, and I never really gave it much thought when it came to chocolate. This all changed very quickly, and I soon realized that Greece is the home of some of the best chocolate bars in the world today. The Lacta bar is probably one of the most popular, but there are so many others that are its equal in this warm country.

Click here to read  our review.

Fry's Turkish Delight
Made By: Cadbury
Originated In: UK

I can't possibly write an article about European candy without talking about at least one British treat. It's kind of complicated to talk about British treats because they used to all be independently owned, but now Cadbury/Kraft seems to have most of them under their wing. The good news is that many of these treats have retained their original taste and quality even though they're being made by a giant corporation. I have a feeling they do this because the people of England would riot if you dare change any of their treats. I chose the Fry's Turkish Delight as an example because it's a little strange, but still very British.

Click here to read our review.

CC

No comments: