Monday, October 07, 2024

Butter, Is It Better

Butter is an odd ingredient. I feel like most cookie, cake or general baked treat needs butter to work well. However I imagine that most baked treats don't actually use any real butter at all. From what I know, butter is not really shelf stable, meaning anything made with butter runs the risk of going rancid or mouldy. Yet, when it comes to baked goods, a buttery flavour is something many people really enjoy, myself included. I'll often talk a lot about how buttery a particular cookie or cake is, when trying to decide if I like it or not (the more buttery the better). Having said that, rancid butter is awful, so I probably wouldn't actually want to eat real butter in most of the treats I review. It's a bit of a conundrum really.

No comments: