Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Well back home from Japan and…

We figured the best thing we could do is explore a little bit of Ontario (the province in which we live). We thought the best way to do this would be a road trip across the province, and what better way to explore all kinds of cool treats and stuff too.
I figure I’d start off with a look at road trip baked goods. After all what could be better than heading out into the great world of adventure with a donut in your hand. In this case we’re looking at what’s known as a “Long John”. I’d never had one before but apparently Tim Horton’s no longer sells then filled with cream as they originally are supposed to. I weep a little because this thing is super dry.
I also picked up what looked like and tasted like a Boston cream donut. The thing is they called it a “Bismarck” and that baffled me. Why did they change the name? Do some donut shops have the copyright on the names of types of donuts?
Allison could pass up the Nanaimo bar. They got their name from an island in British Columbia and one day I’d like to try one from there. I wonder if they just call them bars?
Finally one of my favourite treats is one that’s never the same but always tasty. Nothing is more fun than chowing on a pecan bar. I have yet to taste one that isn’t fantastic yet they’re all a little different.


CC

3 comments:

Gus said...

Did you get these in one place?

Jim said...

That Nanaimo bar looks fantastic.

Chris Stewart said...

We got all of these treats along the road at different time in different places. Some where bought in chains like Robins Donuts or Tim Horton’s while others where bought in small bakeries. The fact that you have such variety on a road trip is what makes road trip pastries so good.