Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What’s the Most Offensive Candy Ever

That’s the question I had for a bunch of my friends recently and it was an interesting response I got. There was a clear leader with no doubt at all, Licorice Babies. Now they may not seem offensive at first in particular when I use that name, however they sometimes go by a different name and that’s where the controversy starts up.
Sometimes these little treats go by the name “Black Babies” and that’s pretty offensive. Sometimes they go by a more racially insensitive version as well but I’m fairly certain that it’s only a colloquialism and not a brand name.

I also got a few messages with items such as gummy and chocolate body parts that people have seen in novelty stores. I’m not sure how I feel about this kind of treat as a Candy Critic, but unless they come up with a way to make the treat really unique other than just a funny shape I probably won’t mention them at all on this site.

The one treat not one person mentioned to me that I thought would get some attention has to be Popeye Cigarettes. Now I find these offensive because they changed the name to candy sticks but left the red tips on them, but I’m surprised that no one mentioned them at all.
What do you think is the most offensive candy ever?


CC

4 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

In Australia there are chocolate gummy babies called "Chicos" and also those candy cigarettes used to be called "fags" but now they're "fads"!!!

Jo said...

You've reviewed a treat called "Pudding Babies", and that sounds pretty controversial.

Chris Stewart said...

ELTW - I agree that those Chicos sound pretty controversial but I feel the same way about the "fags" as I do about the Popey cigarettes, although changing a candy cigarette into something called "fads" is pretty shocking.

Jo - I forgot about those, or at least I never thought of them as controversial. I even have a shot of them in the book at this point. Thanks for pointing that out.

Unknown said...

I wish that they still sold them?