Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Let the Chocolate Battle Begin!

The folks at the Candy Dish Blog (NCA) apparently don’t agree with much of the press and speculation dealing with the Kraft purchase of Cadbury. Several articles (including the one linked below) talk about the differences between US and British chocolates. The argument is generally that US chocolate isn’t as high a quality as that in the UK (or I’d argue in Canada). While I don’t agree that all chocolate in the US is bad, I do think that for the most part it isn’t as nice as the stuff in Europe (or to a lesser extent Canada). I can’t speculate on the science behind why there might be a difference however I can say that I have eaten an American, European, and Canadian Kit Kat bar one after another and the European one went down much better. I invite any debate on the subject and more importantly I invite any candy company to send me proof that I’m wrong.

Click here to read the article saying that US chocolate isn't as good.

Click here to read the Candy Dish Blog's response.

CC

2 comments:

Carl Weaver said...

It's not that we are upset about people having opinions. In fact, one of our points is that one chocolate being better quality than another IS a matter of opinion. In the Independent article, it was presented as a matter of fact.

Tastes differ in different places. There is not empirical basis for saying that one chocolate is higher quality than another. That's one point.

In addition, the article was misleading about some key facts, explained in our article. There was poor understanding and research conducted by the Independent and it showed. We think that people should be aware of the inaccuracies they reported.

Honestly, whether you like or dislike something is a matter of taste. Cadbury's chocolate is great stuff. So is Toblerone, Hershey and so on, at least in my opinion. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, leave it on the shelf. But you have to admit that it is your own taste preference, not a measure of quality, that determines which you will eat.

So Kraft is buying Cadbury. The British giant sold out to an American company. Does that matter? Wouldn't it be a bit foolish for a company to change the magic formula Cadbury already invented that has made them the giant they are? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Cadbury's taste does not change a bit.

Chris Stewart said...

I think what it boils down to and what everybody can agree upon is that Kraft better not mess with Cadbury products. I’ve read a little more on the subject and I’ve learnt that Kraft is also in some dept (and even more dept after purchasing Cadbury). This is the area where I get worried. Sometimes (and I’m not saying it’s going to happen) companies take big chances to increase revenue, and sometimes these big ideas don’t work out and when this happens quality can be one of the first things to go.