Thursday, December 23, 2010

Are Large Companies Improving the Lives Of Cocoa Farmers?

I've had this debate with many people, and I used to have a really strong opinion on the matter, but I want to know.  Are chocolate bar companies improving things for cocoa growers or making them worse?  I've read many articles (like the one linked below) that mention all of the work many large companies are doing in Africa and all over the world to improve the quality of cocoa as well as the quality of life for cocoa farmers.  It seems like they're doing good work and that their improving the methods by which they get their main product.  The problem is I still read about the problems that persist environmentally and with the conditions that many cocoa farmers live.  Should I feel guilty every time I eat chocolate?

Click here to read the article.

CC

No comments: