Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Canadians And Healthy Eating

I just read this article on the CBC website and I'm disappointed in the way it sells Canadian health.  I'm disappointed because as usual it attempts to simplify the way people eat and how it effects health.  It villainizes anything with sugar and salt and doesn't really look at how real people might want or have to eat.  I find that articles like this focus on the perfect "Martha Stewart" type lifestyle, and simply throw out ideas that seem simple but are not.

Click here to read it yourself, maybe you won't get as mad as I did.

CC

2 comments:

Katie said...

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same piece that Andrea (quietfish.com) was supposed to be involved in with her family... Here she talks about why they didn't get to participate: http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/?p=10047
And her more recent entries highlight the sugar fast she's on now.

I have to say, sugar is on my mind a lot lately (reading the Penguin Book "Sugar" by Elizabeth Abbott.) Maybe I'll tackle my thoughts on this topic at a later date and we can discuss.

p.s. hello from The Candy Store!

Chris Stewart said...

Hey Katie from the Candy Store (one of my favorite candy stores of all times)!

This is very interesting, it's a good example of how television often pretends to be helpful but only if it's entertaining as well. I'm not saying that television shouldn't be entertaining, but people should know that's the priority.

I look forward to any "sugar inspirations you might have.