Wednesday, January 12, 2011

IKEA Cake

About a year ago I was sitting in an Ottawa IKEA eating a plate of meatballs, when I noticed an advertisement for something called a "Princess Cake".  Allison and I talked about the cake, and wondered aloud what the deal was.  A man cleaning tables next to us overheard our conversations and spent the next 20 minutes explaining every single detail of this soon to be released cake.  In a nutshell, the cake is a special edition treat created in celebration of the royal wedding in Sweden this past year.

Well, to be honest, I don't eat many deserts at IKEA.  When I do, I tend to favour the D'aim cake.  However on this visit I saw one of these "Princess Cakes" sitting in the cooler, and I just had to give it a try.  It looked absolutely spectacular, however it tasted rather bland.  It had a little bit of jam and cream wedged between two light cakes. The jam was way too subtle and the cake had almost no flavour.  It wasn't bad texturally, but really not something I'd serve at a wedding.

CC

No comments: