Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hello candy lovers, I'm Alex!

As a new contributor here on Candy Critic, I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I was a devoted reader of (and commenter on) this fine blog until Chris called me out for my incessant blog-stalking and suggested that I make myself more useful. So here I am.

Sweets are currently not only my hobby but my vocation: I’m the manager of a small family-run chocolate shop in western Maryland. (Oddly enough, my first job was also at a family-owned chocolate shop, though that one was in western Ohio.) I was raised to believe that if a dessert wasn’t chocolate then it wasn’t worth eating, though my parents disagreed about what type of chocolate was preferable- I tend to side with my dad and say the darker the better; white chocolate isn’t really chocolate.

On a similar note--

The other day, while a customer perused the chocolate case, her husband looked bored and commented that he didn’t much care for candy. I responded in my normal perky way, “Well that’s okay, we sell chocolate.” His dismissive, “Same thing,” kind of offended me. Chocolate and candy are soooo not the same. Chocolate is rich and decadent and something I savor. Candy is bright and fun and I hide it in my car so my boyfriend won’t judge me for having a slight sugar addiction. I love them both, but in very different ways.

Now, thanks to Chris, I get to share that love with all of you. I’m really excited! So excited that I'm a little jittery! Come to think of it, that might have more to do with all the Skittles I just ate... But still, really excited!

No comments: