Wednesday, May 11, 2011

no English

One of my most favourite things to do is to go to the Asian grocery store and get snacks that are a little different from my normal choices. The criteria I use to chose snacks are a combination of the following traits:

1) no English on the package. This makes the food inside a surprise! Sometimes English is okay, as long as it doesn't make sense. "Pizza" on a bag of chips seems promising.
2) cute characters on the package. It seems food from Japan is especially into this. They anamorphize  just about anything.
3) an unusual ingredient.  Because of government regulations there are stickers with a list of ingredients in English and French stuck onto every item, but sometimes things just don't translate. I almost bought a tin of candy with "Immortal Grass" as a main ingredient, but it was a little out of my price range.

No comments: