Monday, September 05, 2011

Ramen/Borscht

I love it when different cultures collide in the food world, some might call it fusion, but in this case I'd call it a collision   While wandering a grocery store in Poland looking for a nice hot lunch, I came across Barszcz (Borscht) in the ramen noodle isle.  This might be the worst combination in food history.
The noodles were pretty much your standard ramen noodles.  The strange thing about this is, I don't think borscht is supposed to have noodles at all.  Why would someone decided to make a non-noodle soup with noodles as the star?
My hope, although I knew it was unlikely, was that the soup mix would be so good that it would take away from the noodle faux pas.  As you can tell by the bright purple colour of the powder, I wasn't too hopeful.
After mixing in the water the colour pretty much stayed the same as the powder, a nice unnatural purple.  There was little to no beet flavour at all, and it was way too salty.  It also lacked any garlic, creme, or any other flavours that would make it even remotely borscht like.  Even as a ramen it was pretty gross.  What you have here is a bowl of salty, very purple noodles in warm water.

CC

No comments: