Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ugly Or Delicious

The other day I was handed what I can only describe as the best looking milkshake I've ever been presented.  Chocolate ice cream, caramel sauce dripped through, and buttery cookie crumbs on top.  If you have any love of sweet treats you must be salivating a little just looking at this thing, right?
The thing is, as I got further through this decadent milkshake the orderly layers started to merge and the cookie started turning into a mush.  I looked down the barrel of my glass and saw this.  Now this is not by any standards a pretty sight, but, it still makes me hungry.  It really begs the question, visually, what makes us hungry?  What are the visual cues that make us want to munch down any kind of treat?  This milkshake went from being a beautifully layered delight to a muddy looking mess, but I still wanted to eat it.  Gummy bears look like plastic teddy bears, but I want to eat them.  If you put a gelatinous ball of pork fat in front of me I'll gag, put a gelatinous ball of cherry flavoured sugar and I'll eat it up.  I don't get it.

CC

No comments: