Thursday, October 06, 2011

How To Write About Chocolate Shops

So I've decided to start writing about candy stores I encounter all over the world.  In particular the candy stores that feature fine quality chocolates.  The problem I have is I'm not really sure how to go about it.
I'm very familiar with reviewing individual treats, I've been doing it for a few years now.  The thing that always stumps me is when I go into a fine chocolate shop and I'm faced with a million choices of hand made delights.  I often ask for help on picking the "best treat" but that generally gets me a sales pitch and not necessarily the best treat.  I've thought about picking one type of treat to get at these places, but that seems pretty dull.  It also eliminates any creativity score this store might earn.  So without spending a fortune, how should I pick the treats that I'm going to write about at these fine chocolate shops?
The other problem I come across is assessing the looks of the store.  Certain things are easy to asses, such as cleanliness, decorations, and customer service.  But what about variety?  Some shops have a million different treats, while other only have a few.  Sometimes stores with a million choices only have one or two good ones, while the store with only one or two choices has nothing but great treats.  Does one fault a store for not having variety, or does one fault a store for not having great quality?
These are things I really have to think about over the next few weeks.  I'd love to hear what others think, and I think I'll do some research myself (that involves going to lots of fine chocolate shops).

CC

No comments: