Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Old Candy Critic Articles - Bulk Store Tips and Tricks


As I mentioned last week and on Monday, I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week I'm posting an article I wrote when I decided to explore some of the stranger treats available at my local bulk food store:

So you find yourself at your local bulk shop, and you're not sure what you want  to get. The choice can be overwhelming, and frankly a little creepy. I decided that I would help out and give you some advice that I learned on my last trip to the bulk food shop. This could save your life, or at the very least your taste buds.

Tip 1 – With gum drops, size matters.
Gum drops are a tasty little treat, but you don't need little treats, that's for kids. What you need is a "Giant Gum Drop" capable of feeding a really tiny family.

Many bulk candy choice are available in regular size, as well as their giant companions, so make sure you choose wisely. You wouldn't want to go hungry would you?

Tip 2 - Cookie dough mix it's a lot of work.
The idea of going to the bulk store and buying some cookie dough mix for home made cookies sounds like good idea, but think about all the water you have to add, then you have to stir, then you have to wait for them to cook in the oven. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time then watch cookies bake. I think it's a bad idea and you shouldn't waste your....

Wait a minute this stuff taste pretty good on it's own. Actually it taste really good. Man what was I thinking. A bag of dry cookie dough mix and a glass of chocolate milk is the perfect combination.

Tip 3 – Candy in trail mix not really healthy.
You'll find raisins and nuts in many trail mixes, but don't kid yourself, some trail mixes are just a bag of chocolate treats with a few nutritious looking items hiding inside. Don't be fooled, and don't settle for watered down candy. Pick out all the nuts and raisins and give them to the local wildlife, this way you have only the good stuff left for yourself.


Tip 4 - Fun looking cookies may not be so fun to eat.
Look at these yummy little cookies, think I'll take a bite and try them out. Why does this cookie taste like liver? And why is it really hard and dry? Holly cow I just at a dog treat!

Be sure you pay attention to the section where you purchase your treats. If you see bird seed and dog bones in the same area, you'll probably be disappointed with what you purchase.


Tip 6 - Cookies in bulk are great.
Some cookies may be a little broken up at your local bulk store, but the variety you can get is awesome. Why be stuck with a whole box if just one type of cookie when you can get a few of each variety. The variety of cookies you find can be great, and you never see fortune cookies around that often so this could be your only chance, without buying a bowl of wontons.


CC

No comments: