Thursday, May 31, 2012

Crescent Roll Challenge Part 4 - Dark Chocolate


Ever since I was a kid, I've loved Pillsbury crescent rolls.  They hold so many memories for me, in particular during holiday meals.  With my new found interest in baking, my love of candy, and my fondness for Pillsbury crescent rolls, I've decided to do a little experiment.  Each day this week I'm going to bake a Pillsbury crescent roll filled with a different sweet filling.  Some are very conventional, others... well not so much.
This particular crescent roll is what I would call a classic.  I can't tell you how many times I've eaten a chocolate filled crescent roll in my life.  The difference is, this one is filled with dark chocolate, as opposed  milk chocolate, that seems to be the favorite of most bakeries.  I chose an 85% Lindt chocolate for this, because this is Allison's chocolate of choice and it's what we had in our chocolate box.
I have to say that I was pretty disapointed in the dark chocolate.  It was just really bitter and it made the crescent roll seem really dry.  I normally don't mind dark chocolate, but in this case I think a milk chocolate would have been much nicer.  I think it has something to do with the butter in the Pillsbury dough, I just think it doesn't work (flavour wise) with the dark chocolate.

CC

No comments: