Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Candy Varieties - Pocky

How do you know if you're a commercial success in the candy world?  One of the ways is that your treat will spawn different varieties. A variety, in this sense, is when a treat is released featuring a different flavour, an added ingredient, or a different size.  It's basically when the "classic" version of a bar is changed and released as something new.  Some brands have started to expand their "varieties" into new heights, and spawned dozens of different versions.  All this week I'm going to feature some of the treats that have released so many versions of their treats that the original might even be forgotten.

Pocky is probably the latest candy sensation to to become a classic treat. It's a very simple concept, cookie sticks covered in chocolate, but it works very well.  This treat started as being a popular Asian import, and now it's made all over the world, and, as you can see, comes in many varieties.

- Best Variety
I don't often credit fake strawberry flavours as being the "best" of anything, but this is that one time.  The truth about Pocky, I've tasted a few different varieties, but none has even come close to the original.  In fact, in the case of Pocky, most of the varieties kind of stink.
- Worst Variety
It wasn't hard picking the worst type of Pocky, as I said above they've had a few failure, and fake banana flavour pushes this variety over the top.
- Most Creative Variety
I'm not sure why I picked Men's Pocky as the most creative variety, probably because I really didn't understand what the marketing angle is. That's actually one of my favourite things about eating foreign treats, my complete lack of understanding.

CC

No comments: