Monday, October 22, 2012

Baking This Weekend - Chocolate Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting.

I've decided to start regaling you fine readers with my weekly baking experiments.  Some of them are success, some are flops, but now you'll get to see them all take shape.  I'm going to try and keep baking something every week, sometimes I'll repeat a recipe, other times I may step out and make something new.  I'm not really sure how this is going to go, but what the heck.
This week I decided to make chocolate cupcakes from scratch.  I did a little research on the internet and came up with a really basic recipe.  Most recipes I researched claimed I could make a batch of cupcakes in 30 minutes.  I think this is totally possible, if you have all the ingredients pre-measured, all of your tools out in a line, and multiple bowls ready to work.  A more realistic time frame is about an hour or so.
After my hour I managed to put out some pretty good looking cupcakes.  They rose perfectly and tasted fantastic.  I think this recipe worked pretty well for the first time.
I whipped up a batch of cream cheese icing to top them, also from scratch.  For those of you still buying icing from a can, you really should know that there are only 4 ingredients in most icings and it's super easy to make.
Allison also made a batch of cupcakes as well.  She took her mothers cake recipe and modified it to be sugar free and low carb.  The results were pretty amazing.
I also learnt that buying a cool measuring spoon that sticks to your fridge, can be a bit of a problem when your baking powder comes in a metal can.

CC

No comments: