Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Rachel's Cake

 This past weekend I attended a BBQ at my friend Jonathan's place.  It was a great time and the food was spectacular.  For dessert we had the privilege of selecting from 3 awesome desserts.  The top one is a tasty ice cream cake, the brown one is a smooth and very rich chocolate cake, and those little squares?..
They may not be the most attractive little squares in the whole world, but what they lack in beauty they more than make up for in taste.  In fact, I can honestly tell you that they're one of the best home baked desserts I've had in a long time, and they were made by a girl who's family claims that "she can't bake".  Rachel first made these squares at a get together at my house, I had one bite and I was hooked.  I've had hundreds of sweet desserts in my life from all over the world, but I can tell you that these squares are one of my favourite ever.

The reason why Rachel's family believes that she can't bake apparently came from the first time she tried to make something from scratch.  I believe she tried making cookies, and just thought she could "wing it".  The cookies were a disaster and her family believed from that moment on that she couldn't bake.  Well I've decided that I'm going to try and change her families opinion.  I'm going to write a letter, on official Candy Critic letterhead, explaining to her family that she made one of the best desserts I've ever eaten.  Rachel, you deserve this, and there is no need to thank me, however if you feel you really have to, you know exactly how.

The letter:

"Dear Rachel's family,

I recently discovered that you may be under the impression that your daughter/sister/cousin/etc... Rachel cannot bake.  During her stay here in Athens she has attended several potluck style functions, and at two of them so far, she has presented the group with a dessert that is fantastic.  I am a food writer with more than 10 years experience, specializing in sweet foods, I have been on national television shows in both the US and Canada (including shows on the Food Network and the CBC), and I've written for or been featured in many national and local publications all over the world.  I can tell you right now that her apple caramel blondies are one of the best desserts I've ever eaten in my entire life.

During your next holiday function I highly recommend that you ask her to make these for you as well.  I'm sure she will make you proud.

Chris Stewart
www.candycritic.org"

CC

No comments: