Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Old Candy Critic Articles - Good idea or bad idea

I've decided to take down several old articles from the candycritic.org and re-post them here on the Candy Critic blog.  This week I look back at an article all about how I manage to get over the mental block that is candy I'm not thrilled about trying.

When I look at a bar, do I give it a chance? I try to. I try and look at every treat out in the world with open eyes and without pre-judging it, but that's not easy. There are certain things I just don't really like. One of the things you'll notice about this site is the lack of licorice. I'm not a big fan, so for the most part I figure why do I want to put myself through that. I also don't really like coconut, which explains the lack of "Almond Joy" or "Mounds" bars. I'm not saying my mind can't be changed, I've eaten licorice and coconut treats that I didn't mind. Sometimes my mind is changed completely and that's the biggest compliment you could give any treat.

So I can't ever say that I'm completely impartial when it comes to picking treats. Sometimes I see an idea and it just seems stupid. I'll scan through the candy counter and see things I just can't figure out. So how do I get over it? Well, that happens several ways. Sometimes it’s from people e-mailing me about a treat they really want me to try. Sometimes I can't think of anything else to eat. Sometimes I just want to challenge myself.

What I've done today is decided to try and show you an example of a good idea and a bad idea using two chocolate bars. One I think is a great idea, the other I'm not that thrilled about. I'll eat each one and let you know if I think the idea is still good or bad after eating the treat.
Kit Kat Caramel Chunk

Before I eat it:

This seems like a stupid idea. I like "Kit Kat", but adding caramel just seems like too much. I think these candy company's are just over working a simple idea by adding caramel to everything. Some bars work with caramel but I don't think this one will.

After I eat it:

I can't say I didn't like this bar, after all its a "Kit Kat", but what I can say is its not really that necessary. The caramel takes the flavour out of the "Kit Kat", and the chocolate takes away the caramel flavour. So I'm here with a strange textured chocolate bar. I like "Kit Kat", this new addition just takes away from a well-balanced bar that it already was.
Coffee Crisp Triple Mocha

Before I eat it:

This idea seems to make sense. Coffee and Mocha, it's really one in the same. It's something you'd find at your local coffee shop, a flavour that's been around for a long time and I'm surprised they didn't come out with this sooner.

After I eat it:

If I could describe this bar, I'd have to say that it’s like a regular "Coffee Crisp" but a little chocolatier. It's not bad, I couldn't tell you how much better it is than the old one but I think it’s a little different. The mocha is subtle enough or it works so well that I don't really notice the flavour that much. I'd eat it again if offered, but I don't think I'd crave it.

CC

No comments: