Monday, May 20, 2013

Mark Gets Some Treats

Our friend, and regular follower Mark, mentioned to me that he'd never tried Turkis (or Greek) delight before.  I couldn't let this stand, and promptly sent him a package in the mail.  Mark offered a great insight into his candy experience, and agreed to let us share his tale:
I knew the mail lady was here by the exclamation, "Oh yuck! you got a bird".
Instantly the thought crossed my mind," the cats are at it again, fearless hunters of birds, snakes, squirrels, groundhogs, and the like!

I spoke with our mail carrier and we discussed the cats and their inclination to hunt and drag their catch to our doorstep.

Turning around I spied our mailbox, typical mail? Nope, not today!

I saw a package that was very neutral to natural in color.

"What is this?" I think.

I read the senders name and see a familiar C. Stewart.

Now I am excited! What could it be? I think.

Very intrigued with the surprise that is hidden between the layers of envelope. I remember a conversation about candy and junk food, and I realize; this could be the famed and hard to find Turkish delight we spoke about!

After trying to open the bulky envelope with my bare hands, I come to the realization that I require the help of my trusty scissors!

I cut through one layer of envelope to be greeted with a second durable delivery device!

y anticipation is growing as I snip, snip, snip to find concealed a bar of one of my favorite treats, sesame seed candy! Oh wow! My grin proceeds to travel laterally yet slightly longitudinally at the ends. I pull out a second container the reads" Greek Traditional Delight; Lokoum with Rose" Now I am feeling like, well, a kid in a candy store.

I am perplexed, which should I open first, the old favorite or the never before experienced Lokoum?

Decisions, decisions!

I break down and realize, I can only open one at a time, which should it be?

I decide based on kid logic that I shall open the old favorite first and while enjoying it, I will open the second.

I delicately tear open the sesame candy bar and pause, what would a Candy Critic likely do at this point. I look over the slightly thin bar noticing what looks to be a purposeful mixing of light beige, oak, flesh colored sesame seeds.

I take a deep inhalation of the candy and savor the slightly smokey, slightly vanilla, toasted oat like smell.

It is a very pleasant fragrance. I can wait no longer and I take a bite.

The flavor is a wonderful mix of toasted sesame, toasted oats (even though I know there are none in the candy) and a very mild and not over sweet glucose product and the tell tale slight bitterness of sesame in it's varied stages of toasting.

Ah yes, a wonderful and honestly, not so typically sweet, treat from a world away.

Now that being said, I want to find out what this Turkish/Greek delight thing is all about. I stop and look over the package and ingredients. Not only is this Turkish/Greek delight, it is rose flavored!

My family and friends know that I have a unique palate. I enjoy treats that are not your everyday run of the mill snack/junk food. I enjoy a floral breath mint (that contains no mint or minty flavor at all) called C. Howard's Violet mints.

I open the package and am greeted by the sight of a clear tray the size of a compact disc case, with four chambers that are about an inch in depth.

I remove the plastic wrap and cautiously smell the treat, caution solely based on the fact that whatever lies in the recesses of this package is covered with a fine heaping of powdered sugar and should my wife see me with white powder on my nasal area, I believe she would suspect me of shady behavior!

Picking up one of the powder white treats the size of a half melted ice cube, I slightly squeeze to check firmness. This treat is pretty durable even for it's small size.

With anticipation I take a bite of the treat and instantly, as if someone painted my palette with flowers, the taste of rose fills my olfactory senses. There is no mistaking the rose, it is vibrant yet soft in aroma, a delightful edible incense that is very reminiscent of the many roses that I experienced as a child at my grandmother's, where roses seemed to be a frequent sight and smell.

I wonder a question in my mind as I enjoy a second rose delight, "I wonder if the people who eat this on a regular basis use a tapping method to remove the powdered sugar", which is in no short supply.

The very fact that this package arrived with a bit of disgust from the mail lady is an ironic thing.

"Oh yuck a bird" turned into "Awesome Friday Afternoon"

Mark

No comments: