Thursday, October 31, 2013

10 Of My Favorite Halloween Reviews From The Past

Sometimes when I'm abroad, I find myself in a country that doesn't celebrate Halloween, shocking I know.  But at these times I find it difficult to find an appropriately festive treat to review, or even just to have on this awesome holiday.  Rest assured that more and more countries are getting into the Halloween spirit, and even here (Greece) I do occasionally find fall themed treats at some of higher end candy stores.  So today I found myself looking back at some of the past Halloween treats that I've reviewed.  I found myself remembering not only the treat, but even the Halloween when I reviewed it.  Isn't nostalgia awesome.

The reason I loved the Caramel Apple Pop was because it was so creative.  It's rare that a lollipop would use another kind of candy to accent it's flavour and texture, and even rarer to have it seem so appropriate.  While this may not be a scary treat, it's fairly tasty and really creative.

Click here to read the review.
Blood Bones are tasty, but more importantly they look the part.  It's nice when a candy company is OK with making a fairly realistic blood stain on their candy.  Better yet is the fact that each bone is not equal, so a pile of them look like they came out of an episode of Dexter.

Click here to read the review.
I remember getting these in the mail and being completely blown away at how gruesome they looked.  Most of the time when you have candy teeth, they're brightly coloured without much detail.  These are fine as teeth on their own, but the fact that you can eat them makes them all the better.

Click here to read the review.
I'm one of the few people that I know who really enjoy candy corn, recently my father expanded my love for them with the suggestion of adding peanuts to them.  One of my favorite things about candy corn is seeing all of the candy companies make candy corn versions of their own treats.  These are a perfect example of making it work, the candy corn OREO's are probably a better example of it not working so well.

Click here to read the review.
I'm not sure if this was marketed for Halloween, but it works really well as a Halloween treat.  The chocolate's themselves are fairly harmless looking, but the spicy flavour gives them a little kick.  I can't think of a better thing to have in a Halloween candy than a little fear.

Click here to read the review.
This might be the only time in the history of the candy industry when a classy chocolatier got into the Halloween spirit.  I remember these being fairly expensive, so I doubt many kids would get one of these in their candy bag.  I think they were designed for the trend of more and more adults getting into the Halloween spirit.

Click here to read the review.
If I had to make a list of the worst themed candy ever, this might work, but only if you're just looking at the candy itself.  The rings from this can still be found in my front hall drawer, just in case you need a bad ass skull ring in a pinch.  I think I may have given a few of these away to friends as well.

Click here to read the review.
This is one of the forays that the folks at Just Born took when they wanted to expand their Peeps line of marshmallow chicks into other holidays.  I'm always disappointed in these because they lack the dimensionallity of Peeps chicks.  All they are is a bunch of cut out cats, and the same goes for their Christmas treats as well.  I think it would be really cool for Just Born to think of a few 3D marshmallow treats for other holidays.

Click here to read the review.
My dad describes the Mallow Pumpkins as "pumpkin candy corn".  They're fairly similar in texture, and if you hate candy corn you'll probably hate these too.

Click here to read the review.



I'm not sure if these are Halloween themed, or just autumn themed, but I think they work well enough for Halloween.  They're made by Madeline chocolate, a candy company that suffered a great deal of damage during hurricane Sandy, but they're finally getting back up and running.  They make fantastic chocolates for just about every season.

Click here to read the review.

Bonus:

I'm not sure if this is a Halloween treat exactly, but I think it would make a good costume piece in a pinch.  Best of all, when you're finished walking the streets and collecting your candy, you can always eat it.

Click here to read the review.

CC

No comments: