Monday, July 27, 2015

This Week In Candy

There are two things going on this week at candycritic.org.  First of all, as you read this I'm in Sri Lanka wandering around this island nation looking at nature and eating interesting (I hope) foods.  I will post anything I come across as I find it on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.  If you have any ideas about something I shouldn't miss, let me know!

This week we're also finishing up the licorice challenge that's been going on for a month and a half on various social media sites.  I decided that every day for 40 days I would eat a single piece of dutch licorice.  The goal was to try and gain a taste for this polarizing candy treat.  I thought that this would be the best way to get used to the harsh flavor, and that Dutch licorice was the best option for taste and quality.  Well, after 40 days I have to say that I'm still not 100% sure if this worked how I planned.  I will say that eating this licorice has become much easier, and I think I've discovered the flavor that licorice fans love so much.  It's a kind of fruity flavor that's often covered up by the intensity of most licorices.

The reason I'm not too sure if I'm a "fan" of licorice yet is because of the problem of age.  I think my licorice was getting more and more stale as the days went on.  As licorice gets stale the intensity of the flavor dies down.  So I'm not sure if I was gaining an appreciation for licorice, or if the flavor was dying down.  I guess either way I have gained some appreciation for this strong candy, but I'm still not sure if I could say that I truly like it, particularly on its own.

This week on Snack Facts, our Instagram feed, things are going to be a little different.  Since I'm away right now, Snack Facts will be filled with random facts that I discover on my journey through Sri Lanka.  I'm not sure how often I'll post, but when I learn something new, I'll post it ASAP.  Make sure to follow us on Instagram so you can keep up.  If you don't use Instagram, don't worry, you can follow Snack Facts on our Facebook page, and Twitter feed as well.

Since we're away this week, we don't have a new review up either.  While we won't be posting a new review till we're back home, all this week we're featuring reviews from the past that are no longer available.  We're going to lament a little about discontinued treats that we really miss. As a bonus, each post will even include a poem about how much we miss that treat.

CC

No comments: