Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Chocolate Street Athens

Just down this street, right off of Syntagma square, in Athens is a really crazy candy phenomenon.  This one street, actually this one block of this one street, has more candy stores on it then I've ever seen on any street anywhere in the world.  This very short block consisting of about a dozen stores has 5 full size candy stores.  Stranger still is all of these stores are high end fancy stores.
Starting at the end of the block is Le Chocolat.  This store consistently has one of the nicest candy windows in the whole city.
Next down the street is Aristoerateon, a very small candy shop but it's packed to the gills with chocolate covered cookies and fruit.
Next on the street is Leonidas.  Leonidas is a chain of candy stores here in Athens that specializes in high quality Belgian chocolates.
Now this store poses a bit of a mystery for me.  It too is called Le Chocolat, but I'm not sure of its relation to the store down the street.  If it's the same store, I find it a little odd that they would open a second location about 30 feet from the first.
The final store on this street might not really qualify as a "candy store", but instead it's a high end bulk food store that specialize in candy. They sell other stuff too, but they seem to really specialize in candy.  So if anybody finds that they're going to be swinging by Athens and they want a suggestion for a place to see a powerhouse of Greek candy, this is the street for you.  Just look for the "Public" store in Syntagma square and turn down the street.

CC

2 comments:

Swedish candy said...

I have actually been on that street, very tempting to go trough all those chocolate stores! Love greece!

Chris Stewart said...

I have to be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed with all of these candy shops here in Greece. I've been tempted to try out a few of the chocolate treats available, but every time I step into the stores I just don't know what to pick.