Monday, June 18, 2012

Candy Varieties - Kit Kat

How do you know if you're a commercial success in the candy world?  One of the ways is that your treat will spawn different varieties. A variety, in this sense, is when a treat is released featuring a different flavour, an added ingredient, or a different size.  It's basically when the "classic" version of a bar is changed and released as something new.  Some brands have started to expand their "varieties" into new heights, and spawned dozens of different versions.  All this week I'm going to feature some of the treats that have released so many versions of their treats that the original might even be forgotten.

The Kit Kat bar is the only treat ever to receive a perfect score on Candy Critic.  The principle of the bar is very simple, chocolate covered wafers with a creamy filling between the wafers.  The thing that sets this bar appart from other bars is the fact that the wafers are divided into four (or more) long strips and each is covered with chocolate.  By doing this, the folks at Nestle have created the perfect balance of chocolate and wafer and thus created the perfect bar.

- Best Variety
The best version of this treat I've ever tasted is the Kit Kat Chunky.  While it pales in comparison to the original, it's still pretty good.


- Worst Variety
I wish I could even start to tell you why this bar is such a failure.  It starts with the white chocolate coating, and it's pretty much down hill from there.

- Most Creative Variety
Plum Soda, do I really have to explain why this bar is the most creative flavour I've ever tried?  I know there are a few other Kit Kat varieties I haven't tried, and they may be even more creative.  This just means I have more Kit Kat bars to eat, and I look forward to it.

CC

No comments: