Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What Do American's Eat? - Part 3 - Caramel Corn

All this week I'm going to be featuring "American" items that I found in a European grocery store (Lidl) during a sale they had featuring American products.
There is no way I can argue that caramel corn is not an American treat.  Sure we Canadians eat it too, but history shows that it's an American invention, it's said to have been premiered at the Chicago worlds fair in 1893.  I can say that caramel corn is really not a snack you can find everywhere in the world.

This is very surprising to me since popcorn is very readily available just about everywhere.  The idea of putting a sweet coating on popcorn seems like something that the rest of the world should be going nuts about, but their not.  I'm not saying it's not available in other places, it's just not that popular.  You can't go to a carnival, state fair, or any kind of outdoor event in the USA without finding some caramel corn.  You can't even walk into a mall in America without smelling the stuff.  Why has this taste and texture sensation not taken over the world?

CC

No comments: