Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Superbowl Candy Commercials

I have to be honest with you, I generally don't watch the Superbowl. I don't watch the halftime show, I don't watch the commercials, and I most certainly don't watch the game.  It's not that I don't like sports, in fact I really enjoy watching basketball and baseball, I just don't like the idea that one game can determine the outcome for an entire year.  I also don't like the commercials because I live in Canada and they don't play those amazing American commercials here, we get low budget Canadian ones.  I don't watch the halftime show because then I'd have to watch the game and the low budget Canadian commercials to know when that happens.

Having said all of that, every year, the day after the game, I go through YouTube and watch some of the commercials.  I have three categories of Superbowl commercials that I watch. I watch any trailers for upcoming TV shows or movies that I'm interested in (as a side note, really excited about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2). I also watch the commercials that everybody is talking about, not that many this year to be honest.  Finally I watch all of the candy related commercials, which I'm going to share with you right now.

This year there weren't that many candy commercials, or at least not many that I could find.  Worst of all it seemed to be the same brands that have commercials every year.  Just once I'd like to see a Hershey Bar or Gummy Bear commercial.  Better yet, if they ever bring back Runts Candy, they should introduce it with a Superbowl spot.  This year there were two candy commercials, and an interesting cola commercial that I feel suit being posted on this blog.

Surprisingly, or not at all, the folks at Skittles decided to do a weird commercial.  This seems to be a trend with them, and I'm not sure why.  It's become so common place for Skittles commercials to be weird, that it's not weird anymore.  I think to surprise us, one year they should just do a normal commercial, with nothing weird at all, now that would be shocking.


I imagine that this Snickers commercial might have been more entertaining if you were watching it while the game was on, because it has details about the game live.  That would have made this kind of funny.  Watching after the game, having not watched it at all, it just seems a little weird, but not weird like the Skittle commercial.

As a Canadian I can't say that this commercial made me feel any kind of patriotism, but I'm guessing it's not supposed to.  This is in fact a jab at Trump, and the current American governments stance on immigration. Unfortunately it appears that Trump was actually at the game, so he likely didn't see it, unless he reads this blog, which is very doubtful. So it's a pretty commercial, with a message for people other than myself.

CC

No comments: