Sunday, January 06, 2008

It’s hip to be square

If you’re going to San Francisco be sure to wear flowers in your hair, but if you happen to be a candy fanatic be sure to stop in Ghirardelli square as well. Fro what I understand they’re ok if you wear flowers in your hair while you visit.

From what I can make out of the random plaques all over this place Ghirardelli square is the founding spot where the famous Ghirardelli chocolate was made.

I don’t think they’re made there anymore but the place is full of Ghirardelli shops as well as other fun shops. They have a few pieces of Ghirardelli history around too but to be honest not that much.

For the holidays they put up this huge tree with all kinds of chocolate bars on it. I was disappointed that they weren’t real but happy later because this California and it gets warm and melted chocolate makes me sad, unless I’m dipping something in it.
Driving to the square, well you can park in official Ghirardelli parking. I wonder if the tickets are made of chocolate?

The thing to do now a day at Ghirardelli square is try the ice cream. There are several Ice cream shops all over the square, but don’t be fooled they’re all the same, they sell the same thing at the same price, they’re just spread out. The night I went apparently many of them had either sold out of stuff or for some strange reason closed remarkably early. That meant that the line that was already normally very large was huge. I waited though and was rewarded with a pretty good sundae. The ice cream was creamy and the chocolate sauce was pretty good. Worth the wait, but maybe not worth the wait that I saw during their peek hours.


CC


No comments: