Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Quality of Chocolate

I have been arguing for many years now saying that the quality of chocolate in some places is in fact lower than the quality of chocolate in other places.  Now every time I say something like "chocolate bars in England are made from a better quality chocolate than those in the US" I get complaints like you wouldn't believe.  Most of the arguments I get either give examples of the few US brands that do use high quality chocolate, or an argument that chocolate companies design their bars for the tastes of each region so American chocolate is not worse but caters to American taste.  So at this point I am only going to give you my opinion and not any hard "fact" about chocolate.  I prefer the chocolate used in most European chocolate bars over those in the US.  I even prefer the chocolate used in Canada over the US.  In my opinion these countries tend to use more cocoa and better quality milk ingredients thus making a bar that I prefer.

Click here to read another article about cocoa content in the US.

CC

2 comments:

gant77 said...

I agree! I am from the USA, and I can't stand the candy here. I get my chocolate from Cost Plus World Market, they have a whole import section from England and Canada, and other Countries. The Nestle and Cadbury brands are my favortites, with the Crunchie Bar and the Lion, and Aero,and the White Chocolate that's actually made with milk!

Chris Stewart said...

I'm a huge fan of Cadbury, although I imagine soon that section will be out of the "imports" since it's now owned by Kraft, an American company. Maybe the price will go down a little for you guys too.

I should also clarify one thing about American chocolate treats, although it's not often of the quality that I enjoy the most, the US does have some of the most creative treats I've ever had. I just wanted to make sure this doesn't turn into an American candy bashing.