Thursday, March 24, 2011

An Interesting Look At Food Trends

I have to say that I generally don't like food trends.  I find them to be used as a status marker for foodies rather than encouraging people to eat new foods.  I have, many times, been asked if I was "aware" of the popularity of many foods at any given time.  Most of the time these foods where not new, but instead they where trendy, and people wanted to gauge how into the food culture I was.  The thing is I don't really care about food trends that much.  Sure I like cupcakes and bacon, but I don't really care if they're popular and I don't write more about them because they're popular.  To me food is about exploring new flavours and flavour combination and "trendy" foods limit this by telling people that they have to eat the same things because it's popular.  I don't want you to look at the candy on Candy Critic and attempt to try out my favorites because you think they might be popular.  I just want to encourage people to try new treats and I use this site more as an excuse for me to be brave and try new treats myself.

Click here to read an article on food trends.

CC

3 comments:

Alex said...

I agree- I'm glad pie is going to be trendy now (supposedly), but that's just because I really like pie! I read an interesting take on trends and some kind of seafood: I'll have to track it down for you.

I do have to admit, however, that I just made a batch of bacon caramel brownies. They're kind of amazing.

Alex said...

It was a Salon article: http://www.salon.com/food/feature/2011/02/18/razor_clams_anatomy_of_a_food_trend

Chris Stewart said...

Don't get me wrong, I often enjoy the foods that are "trendy". I love cupcakes, I just don't like the attitude that comes with the idea of trendy foods.