Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Belgian Candy Windows - Manikin Piss

The widows of the chocolate shops in Belgium are spectacular, almost as spectacular as the chocolates themselves.  The level of competition between the chocolate shops in this country is staggering, so you would imagine they put a lot of effort towards their windows to attract customers.  For the next two weeks I'm going to show you some of the great themes and ideas I came across while searching out my chocolate paradise.
There's something very disturbing about the number of chocolate shop windows that feature Manneken Pis (the famous statue of the little boy peeing).  The closer you get to the real sculpture the more you see of them too.  In fact it's amazing how many chocolate shops are right next to the statue of Manneken Pis.  Other than a pub across the road it's pretty much surrounded.  While I appreciate the pop art idea of these windows, I have to admit it feels a little creepy seeing a whole city celebrating a little boy peeing.  But I guess if that's what people want to see, then that's what these shops will deliver.

CC

No comments: