Thursday, January 12, 2012

How Much Do You Love McDonald's Hash Browns?

As usual, while on vacation I find myself often eating fast food.  It's not that I have anything against the stuff from a health point of view, I just find myself wondering why I go to fast food restaurants when I'm visiting a place like Vienna with a great selection of restaurants all over the place.  In this case it has more to do with the fact that breakfast at my hotel is 15 Euros each day and frankly I'm not willing to pay that kind of dough for a slice of toast and some eggs.  So McDonald's has been the breakfast of choice for most mornings on this trip.  It's been pretty tasty as well, not to mention the fine German greeting I get every morning on the top of my box.
I can't say I was suffering with this fast food breakfast.  In fact the McDonald's hash brown is easily one of my favorite fast food staples.  Even cooler, here in Vienna, they call the hash browns "Rosti".  So every single morning I got to walk up to a nice lady working at the local  McDonald's and ask her for a "Rosti on the side".  I'm convinced she had no  idea what "on the side" meant because her English was almost non-existent, but it got the point across.
To make things even better, in Austria, they offer a breakfast sandwich that has a "Rosti" inside it.  It comes with tomato, lettuce, cheese, some kind of mustard/mayonnaise, a slice of sausage, and a rosti.  While I  wasn't a big fan of the sauce, the rosti fit in really well.  If this idea has not taken off in other parts of the world, I recommend you take matters into your own hands and try it yourself.
As a side note, Allison ordered an Apple Juice one morning and when she tried it out, it was carbonated.  The orange juice I drank regularly was normal, but the apple juice was carbonated.  Is this some kind of Austrian thing?

CC

No comments: