Monday, March 26, 2012

Treats From Thessaloniki - Market Sweets

Last week I got back from a fun adventure to the city of Thessaloniki.  It's the second largest city in Greece, many consider it to be the cultural hub of Greece, but I would also consider it the baking capital of Greece.  It's not hard to argue that this city has some of the best food in the whole country, yet it's very surprising that more tourists don't come and visit. All this week I've decided that I'm going to highlight some of the food adventures I had on my epic adventure.  Most of the treats featured will be sweet, but not all of them.  What I can guarantee is by the time you read all of these adventures, you might consider a stop in Thessaloniki on your Greek vacation.
Most Greek markets that I've visited turn out to either be really small or so large that they're very intimidating. Most of the large markets tend to be so full of people, and general chaos, that I don't really have the ability to see anything for sale and I'm swept up in just trying to work my way through them.  The market in Thessaloniki is different, it's large enough to give you a great adventure, but not so crowded that you just want to leave.  There's plenty of room to look around at all of the stalls.
And many of the stalls were full of sweet treats.  Some had standard packaged goods, others had bulk treats, and most of them had traditional Greek sweets.  The variety of halva available was pretty good, and it all looked hand made.
There were also other Greek delights available that I had never seen before.  Since I'm working on a future project all about Greek treats, I probably should start learning about them too.  I've never felt so comfortable in a Greek market than I did at the Thessaloniki market.  I never felt rushed, I saw some spectacular looking sweets, and all of the people were very friendly.

CC

No comments: