Monday, April 09, 2012

Spooooooooooooonnnn!!! Sweets - Cherry

Every day this week I'm going to sample a different spoon sweet and let you know what I think.  For those unfamiliar with spoon sweets, they're pretty much fruit preserved in a syrup.  It's kind of like jam, only it's much juicier and the fruit is most often whole, or only sliced in half.
I decided to start this exercise with something fairly simple and straight forward, cherries.  I'm finding that most spoon sweets seem to come in more exotic and strange flavours, such as kumquat or fig. You don't really find apple, or peach spoon sweets as often.  It could be because these fruits are more common and not worth preserving, or it could be the places I happen to buy my spoon sweets.  These cherry spoon sweets are pretty good.  They're not as juicy as cherries, but the flavour is really surprising.  You would expect these to be uber sweet, since they've been soaking in syrup for a while, but they're not.  In fact they have a great tart taste that balances the sweet really well.  The best food to compare these is to a really good Chinese sweet and sour sauce.

CC

No comments: